Men's Soccer Club

Log In / Register to Request Membership
Men's Soccer Links

All Men's Soccer News Posted

UL Retain Crowley Cup

Posted 13th Mar 2024
Author Michael McCarthy (Coach)

Our UL Mens Soccer team have retained their Crowley Cup title with a 4-0 win over Mary I Thurles in Queens University Belfast today. This is the clubs second Crowley Cup win and completes the first intervarsity double in UL Soccer history after last months Collingwood Cup triumph. 

2024 Crowley Cup, Belfast

Posted 7th Mar 2024
Author Michael McCarthy (Coach)

UL Mens Team go to Belfast to defend their Crowley Cup crown this Monday. Since winning UL's first ever Crowley in 2023, the Wolves have added the Collingwood Cup and Evan Tobin's men go North to keep their title with an opening game v locals Ulster University

UL claim maiden Collingwood Cup title

Posted 22nd Feb 2024
Author Mark Nolan (Fixtures Secretary)

Collingwood Cup Final


University of Limerick 5-0 Trinity College


The University of Limerick ended their fifty year wait to claim a maiden Collingwood Cup title emphatically as they dispatched Trinity College five-nil in Galway on Wednesday afternoon.


Having previously made eight finals only to come out on the losing side the class of 2024 were determined to etch their names into the history books and did so in some style.


Trinity came into the final fresh from a dramatic semi-final that saw them overturn a two goal deficit to defeat Maynooth via a penalty shootout and it was the Dubliners who looked the more dangerous from the off with UL captain Ewan O’Brien and center-back Alex Cuddy producing important tackles to stop what looked to be dangerous attacks inside the opening seven minutes.


However after ten minutes UL began to get a foothold in the game, Theo Joyce showed a trademark burst of acceleration to make inroads up the left flank with his effort blocked for a corner. Just moments later a smart header from Edmund O’Dwyer sent the ball over the head of his mark allowing Leon Daly to race through on goal again winning a corner for his side.


In fact it was from a set-piece that UL would find the breakthrough, as the ball was catapulted into the area from a Tom Kidd throw-in Eoin Redmond rose highest and directed it toward goal. A fine save from the Trinity keeper prevented the goal but the ball fell to Daly who hit it on the volley only to see his effort blocked by a Trinity defender. As Alex Cuddy looked to send the ball back into the area he was upended leaving the referee no choice but to award a penalty.


The responsibility fell to talisman O’Dwyer who composed himself before calmly dispatching the spot kick into the bottom corner of the Trinity net to put UL in front after seventeen minutes.


Trinity manged to settle themselves after conceding but their attacks were failing to trouble the Limerick defence with Joey Rushe and Conor Carew snuffing out any advances that came down their wings while Tom Kelly and Alex Cuddy were comfortably cutting out forays down the middle of the park.


With twenty seven minutes played Redmond showed some lovely footwork to flick the ball beyond his marker into the path of O’Dwyer who curled an effort just wide of the upright.


Five minutes later that duo would combine again but this time it was O’Dwyer who was supplying the ball. The Tipperary native left his marker for dead and spotting Redmond arriving in the area he sent the ball across the face of goal. Unfortunately the Limerick midfielder couldn’t get his foot to the ball and Trinity cleared the danger.


The Shannonsiders would not have to wait long to see their lead extended. Turning over possession from a Trinity attack Carew launched the ball forward, O’Dwyer contested for a header but both he and his marker failed to make contact. However Leon Daly gambled on their being an opportunity and raced toward goal.

With his defence absent the Trinity goalkeeper charged out from his area reaching the ball second and taking out the Aisling Annacotty winger. From the resulting free-kick Regional United’s Joey Rushe stepped up to curl the ball into the top corner of the Trinity net to put UL two clear with thirty-five minutes played.


Just two minutes later two would become three. Rushe won possession deep in his own half and sent the ball up the line to Theo Joyce he set the ball back to Ewan O’Brien who lofted the ball forward. O’Dwyer found himself in a footrace and with his marker unable to compete with his power the Trinity keeper was again forced to leave his line to close the angle.


This proved to be no issue for O’Dwyer who opened up his body to chip the ball over the shot-stopper’s head into the back of the net. That was the last action of note in the opening half with UL perhaps daring to dream their long wait might finally end.


The Limerickmen opted to leave nothing to chance, aware of the comeback their opponents made the day before they looked to kill the game as a contest early in the second half and did so though the mercurial Daly.


Once again a long ball sent forward by O’Brien was controlled by O’Dwyer a simple flick sent the ball beyond his marker and into the path of Daly. The Clare native accelerated into the path of the ball and drove towards the left hand side of the area drilling a low shot to the far corner of the net to send UL into dreamland with fifty-two minutes played.


Two minutes later O’Dwyer and Daly linked up again with a cross from the left seeing a shot from the winger diverted away from goal by a Trinity defender. UL were not content with a four goal lead and Eoin Redmond’s aerial prowess came to the fore again as he saw a sixty-first minute header hit the crossbar.


Limerick would get their fifth goal and it was perhaps the pick of the bunch with sixty-seven minutes on the clock. Joey Rushe sent the ball forward from the UL defence, Joyce controlled the ball on the half-way line with two Trinity players surrounding him. The Connemara native swivelled and raced forward leaving two Trinity midfielders in his wake. As he approached the area he jinked past another duo of Trinity defenders before firing a stunning effort into the top corner of the net to put the icing on the cake for Limerick.


With the game well and truly over as a contest Limerick had the luxury of emptying their bench but that didn’t dilute the quality on offer. Experienced players such as Ciaran Jennings, David McCarthy and Paudie Walsh posed a real threat for UL going forward while former Trinity player Niall Barr was also introduced to the Limerick midfield.


UL showed steely determination all tournament and their attention now shifted to ensuring they kept a third consecutive clean sheet. Despite playing three games in three days midfielders Tom Kidd and Eoin Redmond were still running hard to close down any Trinity advances while Oisin Breen also used his athleticism to keep UL in control.


While he had a quiet day at the office UL goalkeeper Josh Coady marshalled his defence throughout the game and when called upon he dealt with any Trinity attempts on goal with relative ease.


The referee soon called time on the contest sparking wild celebrations as UL’s Collingwood famine was finally ended. Captain Ewan O’Brien collected the prestigious cup on behalf of the squad while Edmund O’Dwyer was deservingly named player of the tournament after his four goals in three games propelled Limerick to the title.


UNIVERSITY OF LIMERICK: Josh Coady (Aisling Annacotty); Joey Rushe (Regional United), Alex Cuddy (Treaty United), Tom Kelly (Aisling Annacotty), Conor Carew (Treaty United); Ewan O’Brien (Regional United), Eoin Redmond (Kinsale Albion), Tom Kidd (Aisling Annacotty); Leon Daly (Aisling Annacotty), Edmund O’Dwyer (St Michael's), Theo Joyce (Aisling Annacotty). Substitutes: Will Hayes (Wexford Argyle), Luke Ryan (Treaty United), Niall Barr (St Patrick's CY), Oisin Breen (Kerry FC), David McCarthy (Newmarket Celtic), Paudie Walsh (Janesboro FC), Ciaran Jennings (Aisling Annacotty).


Management: Ian Sullivan (Manager), Michael McCarthy (Coach), Jamie Flynn (Assistant coach), Leon Casey Ryan (Assistant coach), Mark Nolan (Assistant coach), Craig Reddan (Physiotherapist) Martin Hayes (Club President)


2024 Collingwood Cup

Posted 19th Feb 2024
Author Michael McCarthy (Coach)

2024 Collingwood Cup kicks off today in Galway. UL senior mens soccer team have been drawn against Ulster University today in Dangan Sports Ground at 2.30. The winners of this fixture move on to the semifinal stage of the competition and will play the winners of UCC and UCD, also taking place today in Dangan at 11am. 

Harding Cup 2024

Posted 29th Jan 2024
Author Michael McCarthy (Coach)

Our freshers team kicks off their Harding Cup campaign today in Cork. Best of luck to Professor Martin Hayes, Dr Craig Reddan, Lance Corporal Jamie Flynn and Detective Inspector Brandon Rossiter

UL go down fighting against TU Dublin

Posted 15th Nov 2023
Author Mark Nolan (Fixtures Secretary)

CUFL Premier Division Quarter-final

University of Limerick 2-3 TU Dublin

The University of Limerick’s league campaign came to a disappointing but thrilling end with a 3-2 loss at home to TU Dublin this afternoon.

This match had those in attendance on the edge of their seats from the first minute to the last and indeed within the opening minute the home side found themselves a goal down.

As two UL players contested a high ball it spilled loose, a quick ball out to the left wing allowed the Dubliners to drive forward before delivering it to the area where it was quickly dispatched into the net.

Despite this very early setback UL quickly grew into the game eager to make amends for being caught by such a sucker punch. With nine minutes played Tom Kidd made strides forward before getting a shot on goal that went just over the bar.

Just two minutes later the Shannonsiders had strong appeals for a penalty turned down by the referee after it appeared Tom Kelly was fouled in the TUD area. Kelly has shown aerial prowess throughout the league campaign and with sixteen minutes on the clock he latched on to a well hit cross from Conor Carew. The Maynooth native was unlucky to see his effort deflected wide for a corner.

While the home side were enjoying the majority of the chances their opponents posed a constant threat when they broke on counter attacks seeing a header just go over the bar mid-way through the half while a goalward bound shot was blocked by one of their own players shortly after.

Spurred on by these warning shots UL took control of the game and some fine linkup play orchestrated by David McCarthy helped them get into dangerous areas.

From a throw in Alex Cuddy found himself in possession of the ball, the Athlone man showed some great footwork to evade his marker before heading for the byline. He sent a looping cross to the back post where his centre back partner Tom Kelly was waiting to head UL level with thirty two minutes played.

Soon after Kelly was called into action at the other end of the pitch producing a perfectly timed tackle to snuff out a dangerous attack. The last chance of the first half fell to Tom Kidd, Oisin Breen played a perfectly timed ball over the top that saw Kidd race through on goal. He stuck his shot well but the keeper spread himself to deny the chance

There was a real feeling of déjà vu for UL at the start of the second half as they found themselves a goal down inside the opening five minutes. Despiteng the second moiety on the front foot their momentum was brought to a shuddering halt from a long throw-in. 

The ball was sent into the area and as it bounced up it hit the hand of a UL defender, there was contact but it certainly wasn’t intentional. The referee pointed to the spot and the Dubliners made no mistake converting from twelve yards.

UL would once again have to pull themselves back into the game but in doing so they would have to gamble pushing numbers forward. Tom Kelly and Ewan O’Brien both put their bodies on the line to produce crucial tackles to insure the deficit remained at one goal.

With sixty minutes played David McCarthy delivered an inviting cross into the area but none of his teammates could capitalise on the chance created by the Clareman.

The Shannonsiders were getting joy in the wide areas and the introduction of Theo Joyce and Leon Daly was a real signal of intent as they went in search of an equaliser. In fact Joyce almost had an instant impact on proceedings.

The ever industrious Eoin Redmond darted up the right wing picking out the Connemara man with a well-timed ball, Joyce looked to guide the ball towards the bottom corner but the TU shot stopper was alive to the danger producing a fine save to keep his side in front.

Just when it looked like an equaliser was coming for UL the wind was taken out of their sails when a momentary lapse of judgement saw the turnover of possession in a dangerous area. TU Dublin advanced towards goal and made no mistake in stretching their advantage to two with sixty eight minutes on the clock.

Once again UL showed the spirit and determination that has come to define the squad in recent years as they went all out attack. They were left incredulous by the officials when what had looked to have been a certain goal was not given.

A smart ball over the top enabled Daly to exploit his pace, the Sixmilebridge man raced towards goal, jinked past the goalkeeper and sent the ball towards goal. The ball had appeared to have crossed the line before a TU Dublin boot managed to pump it clear but neither the referee not linesman was willing to award the goal much to the frustration of the home side.

Opting to use a three man defence as they sought a route back into the game UL were singing the praises of goalkeeper Josh Coady who produced a massive save to deny TUD who had broken through on goal in the seventy fifth minute.

Yet again UL saw a strong appeal for a penalty fall on deaf ears in the eighty fourth minute however with five minutes to go they would be awarded a spot kick of their own.

Joey Rushe was the man charged with the task of taking the kick, the Regional United man struck it well but it was at a good height for the keeper who had guessed correctly diving to his left.

While he was denied from 12 yards Rushe made no mistake from 30 yards as he arrowed a free kick into the bottom corner of the TU net three minutes from time to tee up a grandstand finish.  

The visitors found themselves under the cosh for the reminder of the game as UL launched an aerial bombardment of the area, Eoin Redmond tried his luck from the edge of the area while Daly perhaps had the best effort as his shot was deflected just wide of the upright.

UL would not return to the dressing room wondering ‘what if’ with Coady sent forward for a late corner, the TU keeper came out to claim the ball but in doing so let it slip from which a scramble ensued, amid the chaos UL were unable to poke the ball goalward and in the end it was booted clear in the last act of the game.

The Shannonsiders can take great pride in the performance they produced to fight their way back into the game twice against a side boasting several League of Ireland players.

While they would have loved to be looking forward to a league semi-final next week they can now focus on their exams before the regrouping in the new year as they set their sights on the pinnacle of college football – the Collingwood Cup.

UL hit Waterford with six of the best

Posted 24th Oct 2023
Author Mark Nolan (Fixtures Secretary)

CUFL Premier Division Group 3

University of Limerick 6-1 SETU Waterford

The University of Limerick completed a clean sweep of three wins from three games in their final group clash as they comprehensively defeated SETU Waterford 6-1 on the North Campus in Limerick this afternoon.

Three games in as many weeks would always require UL to draw on the depth of their squad and several players were handed their intervarsity debuts today. The new faces were clearly eager to stake a claim for ang berth going forward as Limerickd the game on the front foot.

With just two minutes on the clock Ciaran Jennings broke away on the right wing, reaching the byline the Sligoman looped a cross into the Waterford box with Alex Sidorov forcing the keeper into action. Just a minute later Jennings was again involved as with his back to goal he flicked the ball backwards over his marker allowing Marcus Hogan to race through on goal. The Treaty United midfielder’s effort was just saved.

That duo would link up again to break the deadlock with just five minutes played. Hogan delivered a corner into the mixer where captain on the day Jennings rose the highest making no mistake with a powerful header.

Waterford’s unorthodox decision to use an extremely high line invited pressure on their defence which UL duly obliged. The concession of set pieces was a recurring theme in the opening quarter with the home side coming close to scoring again with twelve minutes played.  

From a corner Sidorov was again denied by the Waterford shot stopper but the ball could only be scrambled clear to winger Theo Joyce. With space to manoeuvre Joyce curled an effort just wide of the upright.

The Shannonsiders were dealing comfortably with their opponents forays into their half with centre back duo Alex Cuddy and Tom Kelly snuffing out any long balls while right back Luke Ryan did well to rebuff advances on his wing.

UL’s set piece maestro Joey Rushe saw a 14th minute free kick well saved and a driven strike from range a minute later also stung the gloves of the Waterford keeper. It very much felt a matter of when not if Limerick would move two clear and that goal would arrive after twenty five minutes.

Hogan whipped a corner towards goal, the keeper got there in time but dropped the ball bundling it into his own net.

UL were comfortably the better team but Waterford still posed danger on the counter, one such attack was stopped in its tracks by a bone crunching sliding tackle from Tom Kelly. The Maynooth man won the ball and managed to slip it to Hogan who produced an instinctive flick that released Jennings in on goal with his shot winning a corner.

That set piece would see the arrival of the third goal. The corner was headed away by a Waterford defender but only as far as Theo Joyce, the Connemara man played the ball to Oisin Breen who sprayed it wide to Ewan O’Brien.

The Regional United man showed real football intelligence in opting for a low driven ball towards the back post instead of a high looping cross, Kelly who had stayed in the area from the corner, calmly guided the ball into the bottom corner with 39 minutes played.

The last action of the first half served as a wakeup call to UL as Waterford broke at speed down the right winning a corner from which a header went narrowly wide. Danger averted and UL took a three goal lead into the half time break.

Any hopes of an unlikely Waterford fightback were dashed just three minutes into the second moiety. Already on a yellow card a Waterford defender became frustrated with a free kick awarded against his side, his protestations became too much for the referee who showed him a second yellow condemning him to an early shower.

Just five minutes into the second half UL stretched their lead to four. Yet another corner was delivered, a header at the front post sent it towards the back post where Sidorov slid in to complete the move.

To their credit, despite being a man and four goals down, Waterford hit back with an instant response. A quick passing counter attack down the right culminated in Pat Walsh guiding the ball into the bottom corner of the UL goal in the 53rd minute.

That was to be the last real moment of note from a Waterford perspective as UL made their numerical advantage count taking a stranglehold of the game. With the luxury of a talented bench the home side brought on some of their more experienced players to finish the game in style.

UL controlled possession as they continued to look for yet more goals. Their efforts were eventually award from – you guessed it – a corner in the 75th minute. The towering presence of Tom Kelly was picked out, his first effort thundered off the upright, the ball was loose in the six yard box but Waterford could only clear it as far as Kelly who could make no mistake at the second time of asking.

The sixth and final goal for the Shannonsiders arrived three minutes later. Eoin Redmond played a superb through-ball out the left wing. Substitute Donnacah O’Leary raced away from his markers towards goal. The Treaty United man took the goalkeeper for a merry dance before laying the ball off to Leon Daly who dispatched it with aplomb despite two Waterford defenders throwing themselves at the ball as it made its way towards goal.

In truth UL could have further added to their impressive tally, two minutes from time Theo Joyce saw a curled effort hit the post while the last kick of the game fell to Daly who saw a strike from the edge of the area just go over.

The players can now look forward to a home quarter-final after a very impressive group campaign. The draw for their next opponents will be made before the end of the week but they will enjoy a well-earned rest next week after three consecutive matches.

UL stun Carlow with 3-0 away win

Posted 17th Oct 2023
Author Mark Nolan (Fixtures Secretary)

CUFL Premier Division Group 3

SETU Carlow 0-3 University of Limerick

The University of Limerick continued their fine start to the league campaign with an impressive win away to SETU Carlow this afternoon.

Encounters between these two sides rarely disappoint and that was the case once again as two conflicting of football went head to head. The first chance of the game fell to UL as a fourth minute throw-in was scrambled clear by the Carlow defence.

After that clear cut chances came at a premium in the opening quarter, the home side enjoyed the lion’s share of possession but struggled to break through the resolute Limerick defence. Several attempted passes looked to slip their wingers in behind but UL were never troubled often guiding the ball out for a goal kick.

As the half wore on UL grew in to the game and would have the next real chance, a Joey Rushe free kick was floated in to the box where Eoin Redmond rose highest only to see his header go just over the bar.

UL disrupted a Carlow attack in the thirtieth minute with winger Theo Joyce producing a moment of pure quality as he took possession of the ball inside his own half. The Connemara native accelerated away from his marker and left two more Carlow players in his wake as he reached the edge of the area. His cross was well hit but unfortunately it was unable to find one of his teammates.

Just two minutes later Joyce was again influential for UL as he linked up with Alex Sidorov on the edge of the area. The ball was eventually played to Leon Daly who unleashed a venomous strike that went narrowly wide.

As the clock reached added time in the first half UL once again created a chance from a corner with Tom Kelly the latest player to head just wide. Carlow were well aware of the danger their visitors posed and looked to hit them with a sucker punch just before the break. As they surged forward on a dangerous counterattack there was a real sense of danger however, a superb defensive tackle from Redmond snuffed out the danger seeing the sides head in to the break level.

Spurred on by their half-time jaffa cakes the opening ten minutes of the second half was much more open compared to that of the first. With forty nine minutes played Hampus Fredriksson broke at speed and looked to play in the mercurial Daly, his pass however was just too strong for the Clareman to reach.

As had been the case in the opening moiety Carlow looked to exploit the wings as they attempted to break the deadlock and Conor Carew was kept busy cutting out any danger coming down the left wing.

With sixty minutes played Joyce once again was the dangerman for the Shannonsiders, he cut in leaving his marker for dead before whipping in an inviting cross that just missed the heads of two UL attackers.

It was very much a case of when not if the opening goal would arrive and Carlow came closest first. A quick break down the right wing in the sixty second minute saw the ball fired across the face of goal but amazingly it evaded the Carlow forwards with UL clearing the danger and launching an attack of their own. The ever dangerous Leon Daly was fouled on the right wing gifting UL a free kick in a dangerous position.

Left back Joey Rushe had already shown glimpses of his talent over a dead ball and the Regional United man sent the ball towards the front post. Eoin Redmond had timed his run to perfection losing his marker before guiding a diving header into the bottom corner of the Carlow net with sixty three minutes played.

The home side looked to respond immediately but in doing so they left themselves vulnerable with Joyce creating yet another chance, his cross found Carew just inside the area, the defender powered the ball towards goal but his effort was blocked and eventually cleared. The men from the Treaty County could smell blood in the water and would increase their advantage in the sixty ninth minute.

Turning over possession UL surged forward and sent the ball in to the mixer, this was scrambled clear but the danger was not averted as the ball fell to Redmond just outside the area. The Corkman took a second to compose himself before dispatching the ball into the bottom corner of the Carlow net with gusto.

The hosts were well and truly at panic stations now as they desperately looked to find a way back into the contest. UL could easily have stretched their lead to three after seventy two minutes when Fredriksson slipped the ball through to Joyce who found himself one on one with the keeper, a deft chip was just tipped away by the shot-stopper.

Despite conceding more chances Carlow were not out of the game and Josh Coady produced a fine save from a seventy sixth minute corner to keep UL’s two goal advantage intact. Coady was again called into action in the seventy ninth minute to deny the hosts.

Carlow launched an aerial bombardment of the Limerick box but the centre half partnership of Tom Kelly and Alex Cuddy dealt with this with relative comfort as they rebuffed the Carlow advances.

Chances were still coming for UL and only a superb save from the Carlow goalkeeper denied a powerful strike from Limerick captain Ewan O’Brien in the eighty third minute. The wait for a third goal wouldn’t go on for long as just two minutes later the Limerickmen were once again celebrating.

Substitute Ciaran Jennings conjured up a cross of the highest quality from the extreme left picking out Daly at the back post. The winger made no mistake to head home UL’s third five minutes from time ending any slim hopes of a Carlow fightback.

UL were not content with a three goal lead and looked to add icing to their cake through substitute Donnacha O’Leary, the winger’s fresh legs saw him race through on goal however the Carlow keeper did well to spread himself well to insure the game ended 0-3.

Limerick sit top of Group 3 in the Premier Division with two wins from two games and a spot in the quarter-finals now guaranteed. They will hope to continue their strong form next Tuesday when they welcome SETU Waterford to Maguires Astros. 


Posted 28th Sep 2023
Author UL Men's Soccer Club

Please note that training sessions for men's A and B teams are currently Monday nights at 8pm on Maguires Astro pitches and Social Soccer will take place on Tuesday nights at 8pm on MaGuires Astro pitches. Freshers training sessions will be announced in Nov and the freshers Harding Cup takes place in February. Please be aware of these times ahead of signing up for our club in order to take part in our activities throughout the academic year.

Final Trials and Social Soccer

Posted 27th Sep 2023
Author Michael McCarthy (Coach)

Thanks to all who attended our final men's soccer trial last night. We have had over 100 players in for trials so thank you for your patience. We will contact the players selected for the Mens A and B teams and we will begin first year trials later in semester one ahead of the Harding Cup in Feb 2024, which will take place in Cork.

Social soccer begins next Tuesday, October 3rd at 8pm in Maguires and all members are welcome to play. This is a two hour slot, and we would urge anyone who would like to play to do the following:

1. Get yourself and your fellow members into 11 aside teams and we will be able to run matches on a league format. We can organise this on Tuesday night anyway, but if you can do it ahead of time we will be able to get going much quicker

2. If you do not find yourself part of an 11 aside team, we will find you one.

If we have enough players we will play 11 aside games, and if not we will play 8 aside, 5 aside etc. Only UL Soccer Club members are permitted to take part and once your membership fee is paid, there will be no further cost.

Your contact for our social soccer programme is Diarmuid Gallagher +353833626517 

23/24 Season Trials

Posted 18th Sep 2023
Author Michael McCarthy (Coach)

Trials for UL Men’s Soccer will be this Thursday at 3pm. We will have another trial next week too. Any new players who wish to try out for the A and B teams are welcome. You must be a member of UL Men’s Soccer Club to take part. If you are not a member, you are not covered by insurance  

Training for men’s A and B teams tonight at 8pm in MaGuires Astro Pitch is for players who played for UL last season. 

Trials for 23/24 season

Posted 13th Sep 2023
Author Michael McCarthy (Coach)

Thanks to all who visited our stall and signed up today. Details of upcoming trials will be posted in the coming days. 

Men’s Soccer Sign Up

Posted 11th Sep 2023
Author Michael McCarthy (Coach)

Sign up event taking place this week in the Arena. Tues/Wed at 4pm, new members welcome. Season kicks off on Oct 9th

Heartbreak for UL in Collingwood Final

Posted 15th Feb 2023
Author Mark Nolan (Fixtures Secretary)

Collingwood Cup Final

UCD 3-2 University of Limerick

University of Limerick’s quest to claim a maiden Collingwood Cup title came to an agonizing end as Ronan Cowhey scored a 92nd minute winner for UCD in a dramatic five-goal final at Inver Park, Larne, on Wednesday afternoon.

The first half was a very tight affair as UL took the game to their much fancied opponents. In fact, the Limerick men created the best of the chances in the opening 45 minutes with Eoin Redmond’s surging runs from midfield creating plenty of problems for the Dubliners to deal with. 

 His midfield partner Conor Butler delivered a couple of really dangerous crosses throughout the half, but unfortunately they failed to meet their intended targets.

The toll of three games in three days was clear to see as UL were forced to make an early substitution with the influential David McCarthy forced off with a muscular injury.

Leon Daly came on for his fellow Clareman and his pace helped to stretch the UCD back four. The Dublin side looked dangerous when they counterattacked but were reduced to taking speculative efforts from long range. 

 UL goalkeeper Josh Coady was forced to make a good save just after half an hour, but he had a relatively quiet half other than that. 

 Limerick came inches away from taking the lead from a 41st minute corner. Adam Foley played the ball to Joey Rushe, the Regional United man delivered a perfect cross to the area where Tom Carney thundered a header just wide. 

 That was the last action of note in the opening half with Limerick heading into the dressing room the happier of the two sides. 

 UCD the second half with real intent and looked to put UL on the back foot. Limerick held off the initial onslaught, but they was nothing they could do to stop the opening goal. 

 A loose pass in midfield was picked up and played to Ciaran Behan outside the UL area. Behan then pulled the trigger and rocketed the ball into the top corner of the UL net. 

 Time and time again this UL side has shown admirable character and determination and that was evidenced by their response to falling behind. 

From a 65th minute corner Tom Carney rose the highest and headed Limerick right back into the game, 1-1.  

However, the game wouldn’t be level for long as Behan once again produced a stunning finish to curl UCD back into the ascendency with 67 minutes on the clock, 2-1.

UL looked to change things up and the introduction of fresh legs paid dividends. Theo Joyce’s pace on the left wing combined with Daly’s on the right gave the Limerick side plenty of options going forward.

A Limerick substitute would have a huge impact on the game with his first action in the game. Cillian Duffy was brought on in the 75th minute and he delivered one of his trademark long throw-ins. Eoin Redmond flicked the ball towards the back post where Adam Foley reacted quickly to slide in an equaliser for UL and make it 2-2.

Tiredness was becoming a factor now as the match wore on with both sides creating half chances in their bid to take a decisive lead. UCD saw a good effort denied, thanks to a superb save from Coady.

Just when it seemed like extra-time would be required, UCD drove a dagger into the heart of UL. A ball was lofted into the UL penalty area and Cowhey headed home the match winner in the 92nd minute.

Time was against the Shannonsiders who threw bodies forward for a final corner. The ball made its way to Duffy who managed to get a shot off on goal, but it was saved by the UCD keeper in the final act of the game.

The wait for an historic first ever Collingwood Cup continues for UL but they can hold their heads high after a valiant effort in Belfast this week.

UL progress to Collingwood Cup Final

Posted 14th Feb 2023
Author Mark Nolan (Fixtures Secretary)

Collingwood Cup Semi-final

Maynooth University 0-1 University of Limerick

Adam Foley was the hero for the University of Limerick as they booked their place in the Collingwood Cup Final thanks to a 1-0 win over Maynooth.

The quick turnaround from yesterday’s quarter-final action meant this game was always going to be a war of attrition. 

The first clear cut chance of the game fell to UL after eight minutes. Newmarket Celtic man David McCarthy played the ball over the top to Conor Butler who accelerated towards the area with his shot going just over the bar. 

Just moments later UL saw strong appeals for a handball in the Maynooth area waved away by the referee. 

Maynooth were matching UL physically in the midfield battle while also looking to exploit their pace on the wings. Limerick’s centre back duo of Tom Carney and Conor Whittle were called into action on a few occasions to clear danger as Maynooth looked to cut the ball back into the box.

With sixteen minutes played Conor Butler once again found himself bearing down on the Maynooth goal his venomous strike stung the hands of the Maynooth shot stopper winning a corner. 

Maynooth responded with a real chance of their own just two minutes later, a dangerous cross from the right fell to their captain on the edge of the area. He seemed caught between two minds as to put his laces through it or to try and side foot it goalwards. The resulting shot sailed harmlessly over the bar but was a timely reminder for UL that they had a real game on their hands. 

The physical nature of the game meant counter attacks were going to offer the best chances for either side. The end to end nature of the game was clear to see in the thirty eight minute. 

From a UL corner Maynooth launched a long ball forward, Regional United’s Joey Rushe did well to get back and win possession before launching a counter attack. Rushe found Butler who kept the ball moving forward with a pass to Adam Foley, Foley linked up with McCarthy who spotted the run of Rushe. He cut the ball back to McCarthy who tried his luck from range but his effort failed to hit the target. 

The sides were deadlocked at nil all come the short whistle. ULd the second half the stronger of the two sides. David McCarthy sent a low strike towards goal within the opening minute. 

Darren Butler was the next Limerick man to try his luck he sent a volley goalward from the edge of the area after a 52nd minute corner with the ball fizzing past the upright. 

David McCarthy used his body well to win a free-kick in a dangerous position in the 54th minute. From the free he curled the ball towards the top left hand corner of the Maynooth goal only to be denied by a fine finger tip save.

Maynooth were under the cosh and UL sensed a goal was coming and it duly arrived in the sixty eighth minute. 

From a free kick deep in their own half UL ‘keeper Joshua Coady launched the ball forward where it was flicked on by Eoin Redmond. His header was in turn headed into the area by McCarthy. 

Adam Foley had anticipated this and slipped in behind his marker as the Maynooth goalkeeper rushed out. The Aisling Annacotty striker produced a deft chip to take the ball over the head of his opponent before it nestled into the back of the net sparking celebrations in the UL technical area. 

The Shannonsiders then faced an onslaught as Maynooth went in search of an equaliser. Tom Carney produced several bone crunching tackles to cut out any danger while Conor Whittle once again demonstrated his aerial prowess to snuff out Maynooth’s forays into the UL area.

Both sides were forced to make changes as the minutes ticked by due to the physical nature of the game and the toll yesterday’s action had taken on their legs. Ewan O’Brien of Regional United deputised well for Conor Butler never shying out of tackles.

As Maynooth pushed bodies forward chances were opening up for UL, Bridge United’s Leon Daly was creating plenty of headaches for the Kildare side as he looked to find a second on the counter. On more than one occasion he found himself in a foot race with the Maynooth ‘keeper who averted the danger. 

Avenue United’s Cullen McCabe did well to head off some dangerous advances down the left wing while Tom Kidd must have covered nearly every blade of grass as he once again played an integral role in both defence and attack. 

The Treaty men had to endure a lengthy period of stoppage time due to several substitutions and head injuries. Maynooth piled the pressure on but substitutes Ciaran Jennings and Dean Hegarty did their part to alleviate the pressure. 

The commitment and determination of this Limerick side was exemplified by Eoin Redmond who ran his socks off all day and was only forced off after suffering a nasal injury that left his nose bleeding in the final minutes. 

Emotions boiled over at the final whistle but both sides shook hands in the end after a game that typified college football.

UL will face UCD in the Collingwood Cup final tomorrow at Inver Park, Larne. The game will kick off at 16:00 and will be available to stream for free on YouTube. 

UL down DCU to reach Collingwood Semis

Posted 13th Feb 2023
Author Mark Nolan (Fixtures Secretary)

Collingwood Cup Quarter-final

University of Limerick 2-1 DCU 

University of Limerick secured a Collingwood Cup semi-final berth thanks to a 2-1 win over 10 man DCU at the University of Ulster Jordanstown Sports Campus this morning.

Goals in either half from Adam Foley and David McCarthy proved to be enough however the men from the Treaty County did endure a nervous end to the game after Owen Benson pulled one back for the Dubliners. 

UL got off to a strong start and came close to taking the lead inside the opening two minutes when DCU failed to deal with a Joey Rushe free kick however Tom Carney saw his effort cleared off the goal line. 

Fast linkup play in the midfield was creating a world of problems for DCU and when David McCarthy slipped a smart pass out to the left wing to Conor Butler a goal looked likely. Unfortunately for UL’s top scorer this season his well struck effort beat both the keeper and the crossbar with seven minutes played.

DCU were struggling to get a foothold in the game and Limerick deservedly took the lead after fourteen minutes. From a throw-in Rushe found Foley who held up play before slipping the ball to Rushe who had made a run up the wing. The Regional United man evaded several markers as he reached the area where he delivered the ball to Foley.

The Aisling Annacotty man unleashed a first time strike that was blocked by a DCU defender. The ball came straight back to him, reacting quickly he dummied a shot with his right and switched the ball to his left delivering a pinpoint accurate shot into the bottom corner of the DCU net.

Following that the match became scrappy as the Dubliners pushed for an equaliser. UL looked dangerous from set pieces but failed to hit the target on any occasion. 

A gilt edged chance would arrive after thirty-eight minutes. UL goalkeeper Joshua Coady showed quick thinking to spring a UL counter attack; his kick bypassed the DCU midfield to find Eoin Redmond on the right wing. The Corkman showed his athleticism to race clear of his marker and as he looked up he saw both Foley and McCarthy arriving on the edge of the area in support. He delivered a perfect cross but Foley’s shot squirmed just wide. 

Just a minute later Redmond found himself one on one with the keeper after Conor Butler’s intelligent flick caught the DCU defence off guard. The shot-stopper spread himself well to keep the deficit to just one at the short whistle. 

DCUd the second half with real impetus as they looked to restore parity, the UL centre back pairing of Carney and Conor Whittle saw off their early advances with relative ease aided and abetted by defensive midfielder Darren Butler. 

As they pushed for a leveller, gaps were appearing on the break for Limerick. Redmond’s lung busting runs were creating headaches and one such run would have a huge impact on the outcome of the game.

As he raced on to a ball over the top the DCU goalkeeper charged forward when Redmond shot he spread himself handling the ball outside the area denying a clear goal scoring opportunity. The referee was left with no option but to show him a straight red card.  

DCU were forced to take off a midfielder in order to bring on their second choice keeper, opening the door for UL to further increase their advantage in the engine room. Tom Kidd played an integral role in both defence and attack. The Galway man helped to stop DCU forays into the Limerick half while his smart flicks and short passes kept UL attacks flowing. 

Despite their numerical advantage UL sensed a one goal lead would not be enough as to their credit DCU continued to hunt for an equaliser with determination. 

The introduction of Bridge United’s Leon Daly paid dividends. The mercurial winger raced up the right wing leaving his marker in his wake. He cut inside, firing a low cross to the back post where McCarthy slid in UL’s second goal with seventy six minutes on the clock. The goal was the perfect gift for the Newmarket Celtic man who celebrates his birthday today. 

UL’s celebrations were short lived as just three minutes later DCU found the back of the net. A strong run up the right flank and a cross to the back post unlocked the Limerick defence. 

It was all hands to the pump for Limerick now as DCU desperately looked to take the game to penalties. Cullen McCabe cut out several advances launched on the left wing while Carney was immense, producing several crucial tackles.

It was route one football from DCU and the aerial prowess of Whittle proved invaluable for Limerick. Darren Butler marshaled the troops while also setting substitutes Ciaran Jennings and Ewan O’Brien away to ease the pressure. 

In the end UL were able to deal with the chances DCU managed to muster in the final minutes of the game and celebrated a deserved win at the final whistle. 

The Shannonsiders will now face Maynooth University in the Collingwood Cup semi-finals tomorrow afternoon at 14:30. The Kildare side ran out 3-1 winners over Queen's University Belfast this morning.


UL Soccer Head for Belfast

Posted 10th Feb 2023
Author Mark Nolan (Fixtures Secretary)

The University of Limerick Men's Soccer team depart Limerick on Sunday ahead of the 2023 Collingwood Cup hosted by Ulster University.

The squad will face DCU in the quarter-finals on Monday morning at 11:00 hoping to book a semi-final spot against either Queens University Belfast or Maynooth University.

Today members of the Collingwood Cup squad and management staff along with Neasa Fahy O'Donnell of UL Sport were presented with new quarter-zip tops kindly sponsored by the Castletroy Park Hotel. 

UL bow out of Harding Cup Semi-finals

Posted 31st Jan 2023
Author Mark Nolan (Fixtures Secretary)

UL’s participation in the Harding Cup ended at the semi-final stage as they fell to a 0-2 defeat at the hands of UCC this morning.

The men from the Treaty County earned a place in the Harding Cup semi-finals thanks to a 6-0 win over Ulster University on Monday. The goals came from Leon Daly, Raid Mouras, Fionn O’Leary, Alex Sidorov, Eoghan Burke and Dylan Moriarty.

Injuries played their part in the loss but this group can be very proud of their first showing at an intervarsity tournament.The future of soccer in UL is in safe hands.

Some of the Harding Cup squad will be involved in the Collingwood Cup which takes place from February 13th to 15th.

UL Belfast Bound for '23 Collingwood Cup

Posted 25th Jan 2023
Author Mark Nolan (Fixtures Secretary)

Collingwood Cup Preliminary round

Trinity College Dublin 1-2 University of Limerick

UL can begin preparations for the 2023 Collingwood Cup after seeing off Trinity College in a hard fought preliminary round clash in College Park this afternoon.

The Dubliners had come out on top when the sides met at this stage last year and in the CUFL Premier Division South last November. UL were eager to make amends andd the game on the front foot. Eoin Redmond and David McCarthy both saw shots go just wide within the opening five minutes.

It looked as if the deadlock would be broken after nine minutes when a long ball forward saw Adam Foley race through on goal, the Trinity shot stopper Lee Steacy was forced to rush out but his clearance was far from perfect allowing UL to win a corner that was dealt with by the home side.

It felt very much a case of when not if UL would take the lead and they did so in some style. Goalkeeper Josh Coady found his target in midfield, a quick ball into space on the right wing saw Cullen McCabe produce a lung busting run to the end line. The Clareman delivered a perfect cross to the edge of the area where Conor Butler composed himself before hitting a first time volley low into the bottom corner of the Trinity net, leaving Steacy rooted to the spot with 20 minutes played.

Just five minutes later Steacy was called into action, a freekick from Conor Whittle found Redmond in the area, he played the ball back into the danger zone allowing McCarthy to pull the trigger however his effort was smothered by the keeper.

The home side were struggling to get a foothold in the game and were reduced to speculative efforts from range. The men from the Treaty county continued to push forward and would increase their advantage in the 37th minute.

Adam Foley produced a fine run on the left wing taking on his marker before reaching the by-line, the Limerickman looked up and slipped the ball to McCarthy who made no mistake to tap home from close range.

The second half saw the home side switch things and personnel up as they looked to match UL’s intensity. It was a much closer affair but the Shannonsiders were up for the challenge, the battleground of midfield saw no punches pulled as Darren Butler, Redmond, Conor Butler and Tom Kidd did well to disrupt Trinity attacks while continuing to supply balls to their teammates going forward.

Set pieces were crucial for both sides with Trinity looking to exploit their height advantage, on two occasions they came close to reducing the deficit however McCabe and Conor Butler produced goal line clearances to keep UL ahead. UL captain Tom Carney came closest to scoring in the second half, from a freekick he sent a header goalward only to see the ball crash off the crossbar.

Trinity would not go down without a fight and to their credit they fought until the end finding the back of the net from a long throw-in in the 92nd minute. It was however too little too late.

UL will face DCU in the quarter-finals of the Collingwood Cup on Monday February 13th in Belfast in what will be the first traditional Collingwood since 2020. 


UL Soccer Sign Up

Posted 24th Jan 2023
Author Michael McCarthy (Coach)

Sign up for UL Soccer 4-6pm Monday Jan 30th at Student Life marquee. All new members welcome. All level of player accepted. 

Christmas Plans

Posted 1st Dec 2022
Author Michael McCarthy (Coach)

UL Mens Soccer Club activities for semester one have now concluded and we will restart in Semester Two. Best of luck to all our members, and indeed to all UL students, in their upcoming exams.

UL lose tight encounter with Trinity

Posted 16th Nov 2022
Author Mark Nolan (Fixtures Secretary)

CUFL Premier Division South

University of Limerick 1-2 Trinity College Dublin

UL suffered their first defeat of the season as a 91st minute goal saw Trinity College take a vital three points with them back up the M7.

This game was always going to be a close encounter as first played host to second with a win for either side crucial for their hopes of reaching the league semi-finals. The first chance of the game fell to UL after just two minutes. An attack down the right wing culminated with Cullen McCabe whipping a dangerous ball into the area. Dean Hegarty rose the highest at the back post forcing Trinity goalkeeper Lee Steacy into action.

That chance would prove to be the only moment of note for some time as both teams battled to establish a foothold in the game. Trinity had the next chance of note when they picked up a loose ball in the 27th minute and raced towards goal. UL keeper Josh Coady spread himself well pushing the forward wide with his shot petering wide. The rest of the half remained an even affair with Trinity slightly edging it on chance creation but the stalemate could not be broken in the opening half.

The wait for a goal wouldn’t go on much longer as UL were celebrating a goal just 34 seconds into the second moiety. Leon Ryan raced forward from kick-off playing the ball to David McCarthy who managed to poke it out to the left wing to Adam Foley.

Foley burned his marker and reached the area unleashing a venomous shot on goal, Steacy was able to stop his effort but couldn’t hold on to the ball it spilled loose and Conor Butler made no mistake to put UL into the ascendency.

The Shannonsiders wouldn’t hold the lead for long as Trinity drew level in the 52nd minute. UL lost possession from a throw-in deep in their opponents half, a long ball down field wasn’t dealt with allowing a Trinity forward in on goal. Coady made a fine save to deny the visitors but much like his counterpart he was unable to hang on to the ball and Trinity capitalised.

It became apparent that neither side would be content to settle for a draw, it was end to end action for the remainder of the clash. UL created the next goalscoring opportunity in the 59th minute, Butler whipped the ball in from a corner with Conor Whittle popping up at the back post, he sent a half-volley goalward but Steacy was alert to the threat.

Trinity created opportunities of their own as the match wore on but UL managed to keep things level through some last ditch tackles and fine goalkeeping.

Football can be beautiful but it can also be very cruel and UL experienced the harsh side of sport today. Defending a corner in the 90th minute UL looked to break forward however the referee adjudged there to have been a foul as they played out on the far right of their box.

Trinity sent forward their big men, the free was delivered to the back post, the first header was saved but it fell loose where it was bundled over the line. There was no time left for the home side to launch a fightback as they tasted defeat for the first time this season.

UL now have a week off before the final game of the league season away to UCC. Only a win will do under the lights at the Mardyke if they are to remain in contention to reach the league semi-finals.

UL settle for 1-1 draw with TUS Midlands

Posted 1st Nov 2022
Author Mark Nolan (Fixtures Secretary)

CUFL Premier Division South

University of Limerick 1-1 TUS Midlands

UL battled back from a goal down to earn a hard fought draw against TUS Midlands in miserable conditions this afternoon on Maguires pitches.

The hosts enjoyed the best of the early chances with a strong shot from Alex Sidorov testing the TUS goalkeeper inside the opening two minutes. Conor Butler was the next to try from range with his strike rising just over the bar with five minutes played.

UL could very well have taken the lead after nine minutes when a long ball over the top caught the TUS defence off-guard, Oleg Vysochan raced on to the ball and poked the ball past the onrushing goalkeeper only to see a defender get back to clear the danger.

The men from Athlone created the next chance, from a corner they powered a header goalward but Gavin Dillion was on hand to head away their effort. Another long ball from UL created the next goal scoring opportunity, Josh Coady launched the ball to the right wing where Nikodem Kozlowski controlled it with a deft touch, racing forward he was confronted by the TUS keeper who had advanced to try and clear the danger. The winger chipped the ball over his opponent and the shot went narrowly wide from an acute angle.

UL were once again rueing their misfortune in the 31st minute when a quick freekick saw Vysocgan whip the ball into the box where Ciaran Jennings and Tom Carney rose to meet it unfortunately their combined effort saw the ball fizz  past the upright. Both sides continued to press but the game was locked at 0-0 when the referee blew the whistle for half-time.

The second half got off to the worst possible start for UL as they were reduced to ten men for an off the ball incident. This pivotal moment gave TUS a huge boost in confidence and they set about making the most of their numerical advantage. With 54 minutes on the clock the visitors were celebrating a goal however their celebrations were short lived as the flag was up for offside. UL were still rocked by the sending off and with 56 minutes on the clock TUS took the lead from an attack down the right that was tapped home at the back post.

To their credit UL did not let this setback derail them and they immediately pushed for an equaliser. A 67th minute free-kick saw Tom Carney win a corner from the set-piece TUS cleared the first effort but the danger was not fully averted with Conor Butler popping up at the back post to head home the equaliser.

Despite being a man down UL were not content to sit back and settle for a draw and they set about finding a winner. Substitute Leon Daly found himself in possession on the right wing, he jinked past his first marker and surged toward the area in between two TUS players as he did he was brought down just inside the box leaving the referee no option but to point to the spot with 76 minutes played.

Unfortunately for UL their string of bad luck continued as their penalty effort crept just over the crossbar. Both sides continued to search for a winner but ultimately the deadlock could not be broken with the points shared.

After three weeks of consecutive action UL now enjoy a week off before welcoming Trinity College to Maguires pitches in two weeks’ time.

UL record historic away win in Carlow

Posted 26th Oct 2022
Author Mark Nolan (Fixtures Secretary)

CUFL Premier Division South

SETU Carlow 0-2 University of Limerick

UL recorded an historic first ever victory on Carlow soil seeing off their opponents 2-0 thanks to a goal in either half.

Both sides took time to settle into the game as they got to grips with a strong wind, the first chance of note did fall to UL, Eoin Redmond flicked the ball towards the back post from a free kick with Adam Foley forcing a save from the keeper with ten minutes played.

Foley again forced the keeper into action with 18 minutes gone, a through ball released Nikodem Kozlowski on the right wing, the Carlow shot stopper blocked his effort with the ball lopping back in to the mixer where Foley contorted his body to fire an overhead kick towards goal, a fingertip save ensured Carlow only conceded a corner.

Just two minutes later UL had another fine chance to take the lead, Ciaran Jennings intercepted the ball in midfield and surged through a gap in the Carlow defence, as he raced towards goal the keeper rushed out, Jennings opted for an audacious chip lifting the ball over his onrushing opponent but just went over over the crossbar.

The hosts knew they were riding their luck and moved up a gear capitalising on a sloppy touch on the right wing to fire a dangerous ball across the UL goal. From the resulting throw-in Carlow powered a header towards goal, it looked destined for the back of the net but UL captain Tom Carney was alive to the danger producing a stunning goal-line clearance to keep the sides level with 26 minutes on the clock.

Two minutes later a speculative effort from a Carlow midfielder stung the gloves of UL keeper Eoghan Tinkler. After this purple patch for the hosts UL regained their foothold and created another glorious chance.  

UL broke from a defensive corner with Kozlowski winning possession, the winger showed superb instinct to flick the ball behind him straight into the path of the onrushing Redmond. The Carlow defenders had no chance of catching the Corkman but once again the Carlow goalkeeper produced a fine save to keep the sides locked at nil all.

Redmond was at the centre of a fine team move that gave UL the lead right on the stroke of half-time. Winning possession in midfield he looked up and played Foley through on goal, as the Limerickman raced toward goal he looked up and slipped the ball out to the right to Kozlowski. The winger would have been forgiven for taking on a shot as he made his way towards the edge of the six yard box but he squared the ball to the back post where Conor Butler arrived to break the deadlock.

Carlow the second half with the bit between their teeth eager to find an early equaliser but they failed to create any clear cut chances. In fact as they pushed to level proceedings they created opportunities for UL. Just six minutes into the second half Foley won a corner which saw a header go just over. With 53 minutes played Oleg Vysochan controlled a ball that was sent forward, the winger turned quickly made space for a shot and forced the keeper to make yet another fine stop.

A second goal for UL looked more likely than an equaliser for Carlow and it arrived in the 59th minute. Eoin Redmond was again instrumental, he slid the ball behind the Carlow defence allowing Ciaran Jennings to bear down on goal. The Sligoman was unselfish and spotted Redmond who had continued his run, Redmond pulled the trigger hitting the keeper, the rebound fell straight to him and his next effort was directed into the net by a hapless Carlow defender.

Substitute Alex Sidorov almost made an instant impact in the 61st minute, he played a fine ball in to Foley who teed up Jennings producing another good save from the Carlow shot stopper.

Carlow continued to push for a route back into the game delivering some dangerous balls into the UL area but time and time again the back four and goalkeeper were able to clear their lines. The Shannonsiders were still creating opportunities with Mark Murphy the next player to show some individual skill. Winning possession the Limerick man dropped his shoulder to create space for a shot sending the goalkeeper scrambling as the ball fizzed just past the post in the 81st minute.

The home side grew more and more frustrated as the final whistle drew near pushing bodies forward in search of a late flurry of goals. Even with five minutes of injury time they could not find a consolation goal with UL debutant Leon Daly producing the last real chance of the game. A rapid counter attack saw the right winger played in on goal, he took a touch before getting off a powerful strike but for one last time the Carlow keeper kept the deficit to just two.

UL now have two wins from two games setting a strong foundation for the league campaign going forward. They welcome TUS Midlands to Maguries Pitches next Tuesday for the third game of the season. The Athlone side suffered a 3-1 loss the Carlow last week and take on UCC in Cork tomorrow afternoon.

UL fightback to defeat Waterford 3-1

Posted 19th Oct 2022
Author Mark Nolan (Fixtures Secretary)

CUFL Premier Division South

University of Limerick 3-1 SETU Waterford

UL got their league campaign off to a flying start with a hard fought 3-1 over SETU Waterford on Maguires Pitches this afternoon.

The early chances of this encounter were created by the home side, a 5th minute corner reached the back post where Mark Murphy was on hand to send the ball back into the mixer resulting in Tom Carney forcing a save from the Waterford goalkeeper. The shot stopper was called into action again after 12 minutes when Cillian Duffy unleashed a venomous strike from the edge of the area, the keeper did well to deny this fine effort tipping it onto the crossbar.

Against the run of play the visitors took the lead after 16 minutes. A speculative cross from the left was not dealt with by the UL defence allowing a Waterford attacker to head them into the ascendency.

The Shannonsiders immediately set about finding a leveller and came close with 24 minutes on the clock. Joey Rushe was released on the right wing beating his marker before finding Murphy with a smart cutback, however once again the Waterford keeper was able to thwart the Limerickman’s effort. UL continued to push for an equaliser in the opening half but Waterford were content to sit back and absorb the pressure exerted on their defence keeping their lead intact until the half-time whistle.

UL began the second half reinvigorated and came close to drawing level just two minutes after the restart. Theo Joyce evaded his marker, made space for a shot and whipped the ball towards the far corner of the net. The keeper was beaten but the shot curled just wide. Joyce was once again involved on 51 minutes, a Cillian Duffy throw-in supplied the Connemara man with the ball he drew pressure before laying the ball into the path of Eoin Redmond who lashed an effort just over the bar. Redmond forced a good save from the Waterford keeper again in the 54th minute as UL edged closer to drawing level.

A set-piece routine in the 64th minute saw UL come agonisingly close to finding the net but once again their efforts were thwarted by Waterford. However their wait for an equaliser would not go on much longer. A rapid attack down the right wing saw the ball delivered at speed to the box where Adam Foley used all his experience of College football to bring UL level with a tidy finish with 66 minutes played.

With parity restored the hosts could smell blood in the water and instantly took the lead. From kick-off Waterford looked to hold on to possession however an errant pass from their centre-back was intercepted by substitute Alex Sidorov who played the ball out wide, once again Foley was the man to finish the move sticking a leg out to guide the ball home with 67 minutes played.

To their credit Waterford recovered from this hammer blow and created work for the UL defence with goalkeeper Eoghan Tinkler alert to several crosses whipped into this area from by the men from the Déise.

As they pushed to find a way back into the game they left gaps at the back that saw UL create some half chances with substitutes Ciaran Jennings and Dean Hegarty putting in fine shifts to keep the Waterford defence on their toes.

The third goal arrived in the 91st minute, as a Waterford attack broke down Eoin Redmond found himself in possession on the edge of his own area. Despite playing the full 90 the Corkman took off on a solo run taking the ball past all who could keep up with him, as he closed in on the Waterford goal he sought to send the ball low into the bottom corner of the net. A superb save denied Redmond a memorable goal but the keeper couldn’t hold on to his effort with the ball spilling allowing Sidorov to score the easiest of goals putting the result beyond doubt.

UL showed great determination to fight their way back into this game to claim three important points. Their league campaign continues next week with a trip to SETU Carlow who were 3-1 victors over TUS Midlands this afternoon.


Preseason Friendly

Posted 5th Oct 2022
Author Michael McCarthy (Coach)

UL senior mens soccer finished their CUFL preparations with a hard fought 2-0 win over Ireland Defence Forces on Wednesday Oct 5th. Scholar Eoin Redmond and debutant Alex Sidorov provided the goals before UL start their league campaign at home to TUS Midlands next week. 

Casual Soccer Tuesday

Posted 3rd Oct 2022
Author Michael McCarthy (Coach)

Casual soccer is now Tuesdays 8pm at MaGuires astro pitches. You must be a member of UL Soccer Club to play. UL Soccer are looking for people to organise it, bibs and balls will be provided. If you are interested, message us directly. €5 will be collected from each player.

UL Men's Soccer Trials

Posted 22nd Sep 2022
Author Michael McCarthy (Coach)

2022/23 UL Men's Soccer Trials will take place on Monday, September 26th at 4pm on MaGuires All Weather Pitches behind UL Sports Arena Gym

Bring your own water and your own training kit including boots and shinguards if possible. For insurance purposes you must be a member of UL Soccer Club in order to take part and your membership fee must be paid.

We have two men's soccer teams in UL, both compete in the national colleges league and in intervarsity competitions. We also have a Harding Cup team for first years only.

For anybody who is not selected for these two teams, we will have casual soccer every Monday, time TBC.

Contact the UL Wolves Soccer Club page with any questions.  

UL go down fighting in League Final

Posted 2nd Mar 2022
Author Mark Nolan (Health and Safety Officer)

Premier Division Final

TU Dublin 3-2 University of Limerick

Despite a heroic effort UL fell just short in the CUFL Premier Division Final yesterday afternoon in Athlone recording a 3-2 loss to TU Dublin.

UL had a chance inside the opening 40 seconds a cross from Ewan O’Brien was flicked goalward by captain Edmond O’Dwyer but he could only find the side netting. TU Dublin created the early chances in this encounter but Seán McCormack in the UL goal produced a number of fine stops to keep the sides level.

When UL did have possession they looked dangerous going forward and were asking questions of the TU defence however just when it appeared the Shannonsiders had overcome the initial onslaught from their opponents they fell behind.

A ball over the top forced an attempted clearance from the UL defence however the ball went straight up and landed in the UL box, a TU Dublin player raced onto it and cut the ball back for an easy tap in with 17 minutes played.

UL had shown their mental resolve on several occasions during this league campaign and once again they dug deep and forced their way back into the game. With half an hour played a long throw in from Shane McCallion was cleared as far as Eoin Redmond on the edge of the area, the Corkman hit a fine half volley that looked goal bound but a TU Dublin defender got a vital deflection to force the ball out.

The Limerickmen could sense they were back in the game and in the 33rd minute they found themselves with a freekick on the right of the TU area. David McCarthy delivered the ball into the mixer and the Dubliners failed to clear their lines, Ciaran Jennings sprung into life and was taken out as he went for the ball leaving the referee with no option but to point to the spot.

O’Dwyer was the man to take the kick and he empathically dispatched the ball low to the keeper’s left to bring UL level with 34 minutes on the clock.

Both sides were giving their all now with parity restored, TU created some half chances while Limerick remained a constant threat on the counter attack. Another UL error created an opportunity for TU to retake the lead with 42 minutes played. Coming under pressure in midfield Oleg Vysochan had no option but to play the ball back to Killian Maloney, the ball only made it as far as no man’s land between the two Limerick players allowing a TU player to steal possession and surge into the box, a cut back to the edge of the area and a low driven shot left McCormack with no chance.

UL looked to respond instantly but it was TU who would find the back of the net again a minute before half-time. An attack down the left wing saw the ball go across the face of goal to an awaiting TU player who made no mistake to leave UL with a mountain to climb in the second half.

The Limerickmen responded well andd the second half with intent pressing the TU players who were content to sit back and hold possession thanks to their two goal cushion. Substitutes had played a key role throughout the season for UL and once again the depth of the squad reaped rewards for the men in maroon and blue. Theo Joyce was causing problems down the left flank and was always willing to race on to balls over the top. It was a combination between two substitutes that really brought UL back into the game.

A UL goal kick was flicked on by Redmond allowing Adam Foley to pick up possession and dart forward attracting the attention of four TU players, Foley held possession until just the right moment slipping the ball through a narrow gap to Cillian Duffy who pulled the ball across the face of goal. As he did McCarthy moved towards the ball but was taken down in the process. The referee pointed to the spot again and dismissed the TU defender for denying a clear goalscoring opportunity.

The responsibility again fell to O’Dwyer and once again he was unerring from 12 yards sending the keeper the wrong way as he powered the ball into the left hand side of the goal in the 65th minute.

Through hard work and sheer determination UL were very much back in the game and took control of proceedings limiting TU to a handful of advances into the UL half for the remainder of the second half.

UL opted to make the most of their aerial prowess and went close with 80 minutes played, a corner routine saw the ball chested down but TU scrambled the ball clear before a Limerick leg could send the ball towards goal.

The best chance to draw level came five minutes from time, Maloney drove up the left wing setting the ball out to Joyce who whipped the ball towards the far side of the TU area, Foley sent the ball back towards goal to the waiting Conor Whittle who fired the ball towards goal. The TU goalkeeper knew little about the save he produced such was the pace at which the move had developed, an inch either side and UL would have been level but it proved to be a match winning save.

Five minutes of additional time were played and UL battled until the end never dropping their heads but ultimately their league campaign fell just short.

UL can be immensely proud of their league campaign scoring 19 goals conceding just 7 on route to a national final. The players have been absolutely fantastic this season braving the elements for training sessions and fixtures and fully committing to the cause.

A special word of mention must go to our fourth year students: Andy Quaid, Adam Foley, Edmond O’Dwyer, Ian Collins, Shane McCallion, Killian Maloney and Seán McCormack who have all had exceptional college careers and several of whom won the Harding Cup back in 2019. Thank you for everything lads and best wishes for the future.

Thanks too must go to the management team of Ian Sullivan, Michael McCarthy and Leon Casey Ryan who guided the squad to some memorable victories this season. A word of thanks also to our physiotherapist Craig Reddan who worked wonders on more than one occasion to help get our lads back from injury.

O'Dwyer hat-trick sends UL to CUFL Final

Posted 9th Feb 2022
Author Mark Nolan (Health and Safety Officer)

CUFL Premier Division Semi-final

University of Limerick 3-2 NUI Maynooth

A UL side inspired by Ed O’Dwyer staged a memorable comeback this afternoon coming from a goal down at the break to defeat Maynooth 3-2 to secure a place in the CUFL Premier Division Final.

UL’s strong league campaign before Christmas saw them win four games from four to top the Southern Division earning them a semi-final draw against Maynooth who finished second in the Northern Division.

There was little to note in the opening twenty minutes for either team as both sides tried to impose themselves on the game, UL’s first moment to speak of came after 26 minutes when Oleg Vysochan curled an effort from the edge of the area but the Maynooth keeper dealt with his strike with relative comfort.

Just three minutes later the visitors took the lead, some fine play allowed Maynooth’s striker to get a shot on goal but Seán McCormack produced a fine save to deny his first effort, McCormack was unable to hold onto the ball however and Maynooth found the back of the net at the second time of asking.

Despite taking the lead it was the Shannonsiders who were invigorated by the goal andd to have more luck going forward with striker Ciaran Jennings and winger Theo Joyce causing headaches for the Maynooth defence.

The visitors reached half time with their slender lead intact. UL had found themselves in a similar position just six days earlier away to Trinity in the opening round of the Collingwood Cup and like last week their second half showing was a vast improvement on that of the first.

Within forty seconds of UL getting the second half underway captain Ed O’Dwyer had the ball in the Maynooth net and the home team back on level terms. A long ball was knocked down by Jenning finding Joyce who delivered an inch perfect cross with O’Dwyer on hand to finish the move.

There were close calls for the defences of both sides soon after, in the 49th minute Joyce was played through one on one with the keeper but was adjudged to be offside much to the puzzlement of those in attendance. Hearts were in UL mouth’s after 54 minutes when McCormack was forced into action again with a Maynooth effort being cleared off the goal line.

Just a minute later UL hit the front thanks again to O’Dwyer. A UL free kick was cleared as far as the halfway line, Dara Hough found Vysochan on the left wing, cutting inside he spotted O’Dwyer waiting on the edge of the area and supplied him with possession. The Bansha man only had one thing in mind and his low driven effort nestled into the bottom corner of the Maynooth net.

Maynooth had a chance to draw level on 63 minutes when an audacious chipped effort landed just wide of McCormack’s far post. The next goal would arrive in the 69th minute seeing O’Dwyer complete his hat-trick.

On a counter attack substitute David McCarthy produced a sublime lofted pass that landed perfectly for O’Dwyer. Unphased by the onrushing Maynooth goalkeeper O’Dwyer showed the composure that has been a staple of his game for the past four years to calmly slot the ball low to the keeper’s left sparking wild celebrations from the Limerick players and substitutes.

Maynooth were not dead and buried despite the two goal deficit and McCormack produced another fine stop in the 71st minute to keep that margin intact. Maynooth were however handed a lifeline with 77 minutes on the clock. UL centre back Colm Barrett was adjudged to have fouled a Maynooth attacker on the edge of the area with the referee pointing to the spot. The visitors made no mistake from twelve yards teeing up a tense finish.

Cullen McCabe kept the visitors at bay when they made inroads down the left flank and centre back Shane McCallion’s towering headers and no nonsense clearances alleviated any pressure UL came under. O’Dwyer’s midfield partners Ewan O’Brien and Eoin Redmond were tireless all game both going forward and when defending, winning dirty balls but also picking the right pass to allow the UL forwards to keep the ball in the Maynooth half.

The home side would not give up their lead and celebrated a well-deserved victory when the full time whistle blew. The headlines of course will go to captain fantastic and hat-trick hero O’Dwyer but make no mistake this was an immense team effort from the entire UL squad.

From the first minute to the last the Shannonsiders played with the intensity and conviction of a team that wanted to prove a point. When called upon each player delivered and contributed to a famous comeback victory.

The squad can now look forward to a CUFL Premier Division Final against TU Dublin the week commencing February 28th.

Freshers fall short in Harding Cup

Posted 29th Jan 2022
Author Mark Nolan (Health and Safety Officer)

Harding Cup South-West Group:

UL 2-2 UCC

Goals from Dean Hegarty and Joey Rush



Goal scored by Nathan Williams

Plenty of tired legs this week after a busy day of action for our Freshers squad on Tuesday. Two hard fought draws saw our lads fall just short with NUI Galway progressing to the final against Maynooth. The future is bright for UL Soccer with this bunch of up and coming freshers who gave their all this week and did the club and college proud.

UL finish top with 4-0 win over UCC

Posted 30th Nov 2021
Author Mark Nolan (Chairperson)

CUFL Premier Division South

University of Limerick 4-0 University College Cork

UL finished their Premier Division South League campaign in style this evening as they comfortably saw off UCC 4-0 on Maguires Pitches.

Conditions this evening were horrendous, torrential showers and a strong wind were present right from the off but the weather didn’t seem to hamper the sides too much as both teams created early chances.

David McCarthy had two chances inside the opening fifteen minutes, on one occasion it looked certain that the net would ripple for him and it did unfortunately however it was the side netting.

The disappointment of that miss didn’t last long for McCarthy as he broke the deadlock after seventeen minutes. A stray pass from the UCC goalkeeper was intercepted by Theo Joyce who raced forward, the Connemara man’s shot was spilled by the UCC shot stoper allowing McCarthy to easily put UL ahead.

The visitors almost had an instant response just two minutes later as a header from a corner was cleared off the UL goalmouth by Conor Whittle.

This close call reinforced the need for the Shannonsiders to increase their lead and they came mightily close before half time.

The first chance fell to Edmond O’Dwyer with twenty one minutes played, the midfielder saw a curled effort from the edge of the area go narrowly wide of the far post. Ten minutes later his midfield partner Ewan O’Brien was denied only by the crossbar. An attack up the right wing resulted in the ball being laid off to O’Brien who put his laces through the ball, it flew through the air and there was an audible gasp as it rattled the woodwork. That was the last moment of note in the opening half.

The men from the Treaty County began the second half on the front foot with Joyce testing the UCC goalkeeper inside the opening minute.

The second goal would come once again from the boot of McCarthy. Finding himself with space outside the left hand side of the UCC area he looked up and whipped the ball into the far corner, the wind certainly didn’t hinder its flight into the net with fifty-four minutes played.

Conditions were unrelenting as the match wore on and once again the UL substitutes proved to be worth their weight in gold.

The third goal arrived after seventy minutes and saw Adam Foley tee up Joyce who dispatched a fine volley into the UCC net.

The Leesiders were resigned to their fate at this stage but they continued to look for a consolation goal, in doing so their left themselves open at the back and they were punished by UL with seventy-nine minutes gone.

Adam Foley broke forward and was spoiled for choice with O’Dwyer on his left and Ciaran Jennings on his right. The Limerickman opted for the right and played through Jennings who composed himself before slotting the ball through the legs of the UCC keeper.

The UL players could well have sung in the rain come the full time whistle as they completed a clean sweep of four wins from four games in their league campaign. They top the Premier Division South with 12 points and can look forward to a semi-final against the second placed team in the Premier Division North in the new year.

UL battle back to beat TUS Midlands

Posted 25th Nov 2021
Author Mark Nolan (Chairperson)

CUFL Premier Division South

TUS Midlands 1-4 University of Limerick

UL fought back from a goal down to record a 1-4 win away to TUS Midlands in Athlone yesterday afternoon. The Shannonsiders came into the game with a perfect record of two wins from two games but were acutely aware their opponents today would be no push over.

The first half was a cagey affair with clear cut chances for both sides coming at a premium. The first chance of the game came after five minutes for UL when Oleg Vysochan played in David McCarthy who saw a lobbed effort go just over the crossbar. McCarthy also saw an effort from the edge of the area saved after eleven minutes. The first flowing move of the game arrived on sixteen minutes when Adam Foley collected the ball on the right wing, he found McCarthy who laid the ball into the path of the onrushing Cullen McCabe who produced a save from the TUS goalkeeper.

There was little to note from either side for the remainder of the opening half, TUS Midlands struggled to test the UL defence and any advances forward were dealt with by the men in maroon and blue.

Both sides were feeling the cold on a bright, chilly afternoon but UL seemed to thaw out during the half-time break. Theyd the second half with real impetus with an Ian Collins cross bringing the TUS shot-stopper into action a minute after the restart. Vysochan was next to try his luck, denied only by the upright after shooting from the edge of the area. UL saw their next chance come from a corner kick as a header went narrowly wide. The visitors were rueing that miss just a minute later. A quick counterattack from TUS culminated in a cross from the right wing finding a striker arriving in the area who made no mistake to break the deadlock after fifty-one minutes.

The hosts’ lead would not last long however as UL reacted instantly to falling behind for the first time this season. Vysochan brilliantly won possession of the ball on the left wing and drove forward, he found Foley on the edge of the area and opted against shooting to tee up McCarthy on the right side of the area. McCarthy still had work to do but he drew on his experience to produce a fine finish powering the ball across the keeper’s body and into the back of the net with fifty-seven minutes played.

Ten minutes later UL were ahead this time McCarthy was the one providing the assist. After winning a free just inside the TUS half UL sent bodies forward, a superb delivery saw the ball whipped towards the far post where the rising Conor Whittle was on hand to head home UL’s second goal.

UL sensed a one goal lead would not be enough against a side who needed a victory to keep their semi-final hopes alive. McCabe made another surging run forward linking up with Collins, the pair exchanged possession with Collins forcing the keeper to push the ball out for a corner. Few could have predicted what would come from the resulting set piece. The corner was met by the fists of the TUS keeper but his clearance only made it to the left hand side of his area. As the ball dropped substitute Theo Joyce readied himself and produced a simply stunning volley that rocketed into the top right hand corner of the net. An unstoppable strike that left the opponent’s jaws on the floor with seventy-five minutes on the clock.

The Connemara man was not content with one stunning goal as two minutes later he took off from inside his own half on the left wing. As he surged forward the TUS players were unable to stop his quick footwork, once he reached the area the outcome was inevitable and UL celebrated their fourth goal of the game.

It was as if Joyce had been possessed by the spirit of Diego Maradona, his second bore all the hallmarks of the Argentine’s goal of the century against England in the 1986 World Cup. Just one day away from Maradona’s first anniversary there could be no greater tribute than the display Joyce produced from the bench.

The wind was well and truly taken out of the home side’s sails, the Limerick bench has had a huge impact in this league campaign and once again the players when called upon helped deliver a crucial victory.

The result ensures UL will top the Premier Division South table regardless of the result of their game next week. UCC’s 2-0 loss at home to IT Carlow combined with UL’s perfect record to date means the men from the Treaty County can look forward to a semi-final in the new year.

The normal league season is not yet over however as UL will look to make it four wins from four when they welcome UCC to Maguires Pitches next Tuesday.

UL record a famous win over Carlow

Posted 17th Nov 2021
Author Mark Nolan (Chairperson)

CUFL Premier Division South:

University of Limerick 1-0 IT Carlow

Premier Division football made its long awaited return to Maguires pitches this afternoon as UL carried the momentum from their opening game win to see off IT Carlow in what was a thrilling encounter.

Carlow arrived in the Treaty County buoyed by their campaign opening 4-0 win against TUS Midlands, while the visitors did get proceedings underway it was UL who saw the first chance at goal go a begging. With just three minutes played Shane McCallion delivered a long throw into the box, Ed O’Dwyer rose well to flick the ball into the mixer, centre back Conor Whittle connected but saw the ball go just wide of the upright.

The next moment of note arrived for the visitors with eleven minutes played when Carlow bundled the ball into the UL net but the goal would not stand after UL keeper Seán McCormack was taken out in the air. From the resulting free kick the hosts launched a counter attack, Oleg Vysochan collected the ball and raced forward from the left wing, he would have been forgiven for having a shot on goal but he selflessly played the ball to the onrushing Ciaran Jennings on the right who saw his shot hit the side-netting much to the relief of the Carlow keeper.

Carlow were content to retain possession and look to pick a pass through the UL defence but they were having little success in the opening half and the next chance arrived for Limerick from a set-piece with fifteen minutes played. A free kick was delivered into the box and a string of three headers from Limerick players resulted in Vysochan seeing a shot narrowly go over the bar. Just three minutes later the Carlow defence were at panic stations as UL surged forward again, Adam Foley laid the ball off to Ed O’Dwyer on the edge of the area, the Tipp man’s shot was destined for the goal but a last ditch sliding tackle saw the danger cleared.

Both sides looked to create chances as the opening half wore on but at the break the sides were level.

UL were revitalised after the half time break and another long throw created problems in the Carlow defence. Whittle delivered the ball from the side-line this time and as a flick on fell to a Carlow defender the Limerick players surrounded him, forcing him to pass back to his keeper who collected the ball. The referee was left with no choice but to award an indirect free-kick from ten yards inside the penalty area. With the entire Carlow team on the goal-line it was going to take something special, the free was laid off but the resulting shot was blocked by the wall of green shirts, appeals for a handball fell on deaf ears.

With ten minutes played in the second half Carlow looked to seize control as an exchange of quick passes resulted in their number ten stinging the hands of McCormack. The visitors looked to impose themselves on the game utilising their physicality where necessary but were met by resolute defence from the Shannonsiders.

The Carlow defence had twice been troubled by long throw-ins and it was a case of third time lucky for UL as the deadlock was finally broken with sixty three minutes on the clock. Whittle launched another missile into the Carlow box, O’Dwyer once again rose well to flick it towards the danger zone, Vysochan managed to get a shot off towards goal but it was blocked by Carlow the resulting clearance was hammered into the face of UL’s Eoin Redmond and fell to Adam Foley. The Limerickman latched onto the ball and made no mistake from close range to fire UL into a deserved lead.

The visitors were enraged after falling behind and looked to hit back instantly but once again the Limerick defence held firm. As Carlow committed bodies forward UL looked increasingly dangerous on the counter attack. Vysochan was a constant threat going forward never giving the Carlow defence a minutes’ peace, the winger was aided and abetted in his surges forward by Jennings and Foley but a second goal was not forthcoming.

UL’s no-nonsense approach was frustrating the Carlow players at this stage. As the match entered the final ten the threatening rain finally arrived and Carlow looked to switch things up slightly opting to take a shot from range with eighty three minutes played. The shot was hit well producing a fine save from McCormack who was in inspired form today.

Rain drops kept falling on the UL players’ heads but unlike the guy whose feet are too big for his bed everything seemed to fit for UL, the back four of Cullen McCabe, Ciaran Barry (on for the injured McCallion) Conor Whittle and Killian Maloney rebuffed attack after attack from the men in green. The impact of the Limerick bench cannot be underestimated Dave McCarthy was industrious in midfield when introduced while Theo Joyce caused plenty of headaches for Carlow on the left wing as the clock ticked down.

Carlow’s last chance of the game came in the ninetieth minute as they pushed everyone forward but the ball delivered by their goalkeeper was cut out by Limerick, the home side pushed on and pinned Carlow in their own half, retaining possession until the referee brought proceedings to a close.

The result sees UL move to six points and places them at the top of the table. The Shannonsiders are on the road next week as they head to Athlone to face TUS Midlands hoping to make it three wins from three.

Club Activities for SEM 1

Posted 26th Oct 2021
Author UL Mens Soccer

To play the internal 11-a-side UL Wolves League, you can join this Facebook page: and complete this Google Form:

If you'd like to be added to the WhatsApp group for Casual Soccer, please send your mobile number to 

If interested in playing for one of UL's competitive teams (CUFL, Collingwood Cup, Crowley Cup, Harding Cup), please join a UL Wolves League team and managers will select best players to play for representative squads. 

Join the Club Facebook to keep up to date:

Open Trials - 20:00 27 Sep

Posted 21st Sep 2021
Author UL Soccer

- - - Check SPAM folders for correspondence from - - - 

Open trials take place on 27th September 2021 at 20:00 on Maguires pitches. Please ensure your UL Soccer membership has been paid and approved before attending trials (non-club members are not allowed participate in club activities for insurance reasons). Please join the Facebook page to keep up to date on trainings, matches, trials, events etc:

Players from all years, post-grads, Erasmus students etc may attend these trials. The only requirement is that you are a fully paid and active member of the UL Mens Soccer Club. 

Welcome back!

Posted 20th Sep 2021
Author UL Soccer

Hi all! Welcome to all new and returning member of UL Soccer! Trials and trainings will begin on week beginning 27 Sep 2021. To keep up to date, check back on and join the Facebook page here:

Create your account today

Explore everything that UL Wolves has to offer.

UL Wolves does not use any third-party cookies. We only use cookies required for the website to function. No personal data is shared outside of UL Wolves.

By continuing to use this site you are agreeing to the UL Wolves Privacy Policy