Love movies? Here at Filmmaking Society we're creating a community of people to work together and learn the mysteries of effects and techniques that go into the movies we all know and love.
We will learn about and put into practice:
- Script writing
- Story Structure, character development, dialogue
- Casting actors
- Directing actors
- Telling your story
- Fiction vs Documentary
- Film settings (War, Western, Space Opera, etc.)
- Film themes/topics (science fiction, crime, etc.)
- Film moods (comedy, horror, romance, tearjerker, etc.
- History of the camera
- Shot composition
- On-set audio
- ADR and Foley
- Scores and Soundtracks
- Editing - video and sound
- File types
- Color correcting and color grading
- Basics of visual effects/CGI
Cameras and other technical equipment:
- Camera types
- Film vs digital
- Camera functionalities
- Exposure: Aperture/ISO/Shutter speed etc.
- Audio recorders
Activities will include:
Everyone will be divided into groups and assigned to make a short film. Examples:
- Recreate a movie scene
- Make a fake ad
- Write and shoot from scratch a short film based on a given prop, character name and a line of dialogue.
- Movie discussions and movie screenings
Analysing the films: effects and techniques used, story etc.
- Trips to cinema and film festivals, pizza parties and overnight lock-ins in the Students Union.